Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Deck Editor 0.3 Beta Available

edited July 2011
http://virtualplaytable.com/download/vpt03.zip

* Implemented booster generator
* Added mode for Sealed and Draft decks edit
* Added Booster Draft Simulator
http://virtualplaytable.com/draftsim.jpg

Planeswlk, check this build for MWS image names.

Comments

• edited June 2011
    Booster Draft Window seems to be a little bit odd here :( resolution 1024x768 . Does not seem to fit to screen :(
    http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/534/snag0080.png/

Otherwise all seems to be perfect :)
  • Ok, I didn't test it on 1024x768, it should be in fullscreen mode, I will fix it later.
  • Thank you
  • - The 45 seconds pause between rounds is triggered also as you start the draft.. which is quite useless, since I don't have any cards to look at the beginning

- At the beginning of a pack, I noticed some of the cards to appear flipped for a second before revealing themselves. This may be due to some loading time. Could you make them load off-screen to avoid this glitch? After all you should know the incoming cards in time

- New draft and new sealed work, but the other formats seems not (probably it's just not implemented yet, but just in case..): I would expect the card pool to shrink to only the cards I'm allowed to use.

- My resolution is 1920x1080. I would like to use more of the screen for the draft, letting me see bigger images. You should stretch the pop up window to use all the space available (btw, also in the library, being able to resize the card to a bigger one would be nice)

- The picked up cards aren't so easy to read as you draft (their names I mean): solving the issue above should be enough to fix this as well

I imagine that you are planning to expand this draft engine to enable multiple players to connect to each other and draft together, right?

• Thanks Det, I'll get it tonight when my bandwidth limit goes off.
    Could you please edit your first post and list the filesize megabytes? I'm on limited downloading and I have to watch my total Mb.

-I agree with Mal on being able to resize the card image box. The 2 size settings are okay for the resolution being outputted, its just easier to allow software resizing too (of course this will result in some blurryness but is to be expected if the user wants to resize).
    Also on a related idea, on the card view, it would be helpful to make a hover popup/tooltip showing the card text in easily readable font, for those cards with ALOT of text crammed into them and the renderer shows unreadable itty bitty tiny text.
  • Okay, good work Det, images all load for me..
    I see how the cropped vs. full images setting works - if I select Crop, and only a .full.jpg is found, VPT shows the full image behind the rendered card frame, simulating a crop showing thru the "window". Nice.

Question: I see the magic database only has unique card records, meaning only the latest printing of a card is listed (and only that set's image is shown and searched for). Does VPT "know" how to handle decks that have entries for cards set to an older edition code? Example - VPT has Aether Flash as the 7th Edition version. Would a deck containing [WL] Aether Flash still work (and show a correct pic)?

Will VPT support turning off unique card record mode in the future, so we can see pics, prices, and such for every printed version of all cards?
    Also some people prefer certain editions of a card to be in their deck for card art preference or physical inventory matching, so its important from the deck building aspect.
  • >The 45 seconds pause between rounds is triggered also as you start the draft.. which is quite useless, since I don't have any cards to look at the beginning

I will tune it later, start time is for multiplayer mode only and will be changed

>At the beginning of a pack, I noticed some of the cards to appear flipped for a second before revealing themselves.

Yes, it is need more optimization.

>but the other formats seems not (probably it's just not implemented yet, but just in case..

Yes, not implemented yet.

>My resolution is 1920x1080. I would like to use more of the screen for the draft, letting me see bigger images. You should stretch the pop up window to use all the space available (btw, also in the library, being able to resize the card to a bigger one would be nice)

I don't want to use stretched window, but later will prepare design for 2-3 fixed sizes to optimal support all common screen resolutions.

>I imagine that you are planning to expand this draft engine to enable multiple players to connect to each other and draft together, right?

Yes, soon multiplayer version of booster draft will ready for test.

• > Could you please edit your first post and list the filesize megabytes?

Software about 30Mb, but if you run autodownload images it use additional 160Mb now, and much more when I will prepare all card scans for download.

> Also on a related idea, on the card view, it would be helpful to make a hover popup/tooltip showing the card text in easily readable font, for those cards with ALOT of text crammed into them and the renderer shows unreadable itty bitty tiny text.

In deck editor you can see text in Oracle Text and Printed Text tabs under card view, In booster draft right click on any card to see it in big size popup.

> Question: I see the magic database only has unique card records, meaning only the latest printing of a card is listed

Dbl click (or press "cursor right" on keyboard) on database item to expand all card variants, same for deck too.
    It can handle all card sets/versions/languages/art variants/foils
    It's will important when "Collection" feature will ready.

• Tomorrow I go away for about 10 days. I will read this forum and emails, but no new version or fixes.
  • Btw, the card images you are seeding are decent, but those available on slightlymagic are far bigger and better. With the current card frame size, it's true that having a bigger resolution isn't much helpful, but if you implement card frame resizing (or at least multiple frame size options), having better images is nice.

And after all, with a p2p system, this isn't going to strain your bandwidth
  • I don't know how popular 2560x1440 screen resolution in world (I know 24'' Apple monitor has it), but card images 480x680 as on slightlymagic.net usable only with this resoluton or more.

I think prepare next fixed resolutions variants:
    1024x768 (currently) and 1440x900
    I don't have 1920x1080 monitor for try, but I think 1440x900 window will be enough for you.
  • edited June 2011
    1920x1080 is becoming quite common as resolution, at least for what I can see, due to many full HD TV-monitor being sold a lot on the market.

I'm sure bigger images would be helpful on such screens.

I'm linking a couple of screenshots as examples.

In the first you can see the main VPT window: card is perfectly readable, but still there's a huge amount of useless blank space around. I would highly prefer that space to be used for a bigger card image. Being able to dinamically resize the frames, or having pre-set configurations wouldn't make much difference, as long as those configurations were good.

In the second screenshot, you can see the draft interface. Here the cards' text definitely starts to become less readable (much worse in draft, where I have to choose fast!). You can also notice the stack of chosen cards having their names too tiny to be actually understandable.

http://xs.to/media/14439

http://xs.to/media/14441
  • > 1920x1080 is becoming quite common as resolution

I have 1680x1050 and 1280x1024 monitors and 1440x900 on my notebook.
    1920x1080 is bigger only by width, but not height. For better card size screen height is more important.

I see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Display_resolution
    1680x1050 and + have 50% of users.
    May be two fixed sizes 1024x768 and 1640x960 (to still be windowed) will better.
    I will try later.
  • edited June 2011
    H'lo folks!
    i just started to try beta 0.3 but i can't find draft simulator.
    can anyone help me? THX

EDIT: ok i found it, let's try!
  • Can we edit the database? To include, for example, the M12 spoilers and generate sealed decks.
    The following may or may not be already planned, but here go the suggestions nonetheless:
    Being able to sort the columns by mana color, converted mana cost, rarity, or card type would be great.
    How about using the planeswalker symbol for the planeswalker cards?
  • >Can we edit the database? To include, for example, the M12 spoilers and generate sealed decks.

Currently no, I will update database as official M12 spoiler will available in gatherer.wizards.com
    Later I will add feature to import/add sets
  • >How about using the planeswalker symbol for the planeswalker cards?

I already use special symbol for planeswalker.
    What other "planeswalker symbol" do you mean?
  • The symbol that looks like a hand.
    http://wiki.mtgsalvation.com/article/Planeswalker
    But anyway, that was just a minor cosmetic suggestion.
    Very good software so far.
    Keep on trucking.
  • edited July 2011
    If you like it, please post some links about this software on mtg sites/forums you use.
  • A link is already on my angelfire mtg software links page :)
  • Thank you.
  • No Open Source?!?!?!
  • edited July 2011
    > No Open Source?!?!?!

Java part will be published as open source (game modules, interface windows and dialogs, card rendering, database and game state objects)
    Main app (c++) is closed source (widgets/graphics/sockets and other framework API implementation)

If you want to see Java source:
    http://virtualplaytable.com/download/vptsrc03.zip
  • edited July 2011
    Why not open source?
    The big problem is the programmer programs closed abandon the project.
    The MWS (which you participated) is a great example of this, making the program a more "abandoned-wear."
    I think everyone would benefit with a good platform (as this is becoming) and it is opened.

Two other questions that do are:
    1 - How to handle the database in a simplified manner (as was the case of MWS), this is possible in VPT?

2 - How to deploy other card games in the same program? It supports? When you start the program can choose the card game we want to handle at that moment?
  • edited July 2011
    > Why not open source?

I want earn some money from it. When finished it will be like MWS. Deck building and online play for free, but multiplayer, online draft, collection managing will be only in paid version. Also rules enforcement and AI in long plans.

> How to handle the database in a simplified manner

I don't understand what you mean. What operations you want to do with database?
    VPT has data as complex xml structure, not table or relational database.
    But later I will add simple way to create/add custom sets.

> How to deploy other card games in the same program? It supports?

Yes, but only mtg available at this moment. See "mtg" folder in program.
    Program can have multiple folders with game modules. It scans them for game.id file

> When you start the program can choose the card game we want to handle at that moment?

Yes. But currently it asks only first time and then save it as default in .ini file
    Later dialog to select/download/update game modules will available.
  • What is the possibility to include support for xfire?

http://www.xfire.com/cms/xf_game_sdk/
  • rpgmem, I wil see what is xfire later, not now.
    If it have interesting feature, I can add it.