Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ETA on Theros Beyond Death?

I believe the set officially released on Friday. Detonator, you still around and preparing the update?

Comments

• Man, I hope he is, I want to see those saga cards!
  • I understand Detonator is busy with work and stuff but I think this delay is a lack of respect toward those who purchase the software. Just give us a way to update the database by our own so he will not have to deal with this every fucking time a new set comes out.
  • Yeah he mentioned he was working on a way for us to manually update the DB ourselves...hopefully he has the motivation to actually come out with it.
  • I know but if it takes so long for each fuckin new set, I don't have so much hope for that tool...
  • edited March 15
    I seriously wish Detonator would get his shit in gear...Cockatrice updates constantly, but the playing field is complete trash and is vastly inferior to VPT. And I get so tired of constantly converting my decks back and forth just so I can keep up with the sets until VPT FINALLY gets around to updating.

We seem to play this freaking game every time a new set comes out...bitch about VPT not getting updated and the seeming disappearance of Detonator until a few months down the road when he finally decides to show up and drop an update.
  • I feel exactly the same and I do the same. The difference is that we PAID for this, while cockatrice is totally free and constantly updated with a lot of players. This is shameful, really.
  • Has anyone got any skills with .xml files? we may be able to do it ourselves.
  • I mean, the .xml files are just full of plain text, it could be edited manually, but man, that is a LOT of work. I assume Detonator has some sort of tool that he uses to build them.

I really think that VPT needs to be overhauled to pull info like Cockatrice does. It would go a long way in satisfying the PAYING customers here.
  • there was a user a while back who made a tool for it, but for the life of me i cant work it out, he was last active 5 years ago :( his github however, is still available.

https://github.com/seancheung/mizer
  • Looking at the source code, I've found one problem. The code looks at "magiccards.info", which now redirects to Scryfall. I'm going to grab this code and edit it, see if I can fix it.
  • Well, that wasn't enough to fix it. I'll post my changes and hope someone else has the motivation to update the website parsing portion. https://github.com/NiveusLuna/Mizer
  • I've sent Detonator a message to ask if he's ok and whether he has an ETA.

I've been looking for alternatives, but keep discovering I don't like them nearly as much as I like VPT.
  • Yeah...I've tried several others, they're either just as abandoned as this, or they just don't hold up. I have settled on Cockatrice, but I really don't like a lot of it. At least it keeps the database up to date. I can use it well enough to build my decks at the very least.
  • edited April 5
    MTG Desktop Companion looked promising, but so many clicks to add cards to decks and no grouping of cards it seems. Does seem like a pretty flexible implementation and maybe I missed a setting somewhere.
  • I really wish Detonator would just pass this off to someone who would actually take care of it. There are still so many issues with the program itself, and he obviously doesn't have the time to continually update the DB.