Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Virtual Playtable 0.5.8

edited January 2012
(Updated 30 Jan 2012)

This software has network play feature. Welcome to test.
You can connect to server, create/join game, and play with other players.
(Tell your friends about Virtual Playtable to get more players on server)

Download: (unzip in any folder and run)
http://virtualplaytable.com/download/vpt058a.zip (build 30 Jan 2012)

Screenshots:
http://virtualplaytable.com/download/vpt050pre4.png

Images for "Dark Ascension":
http://virtualplaytable.com/download/Dark Ascension.zip
put into "[VPT folder]\mtg\images\Dark Ascension.zip" (don't unzip file)

To download other card images see main site: http://virtualplaytable.com/
You also can use images from MWS, set path in app settings.

I still working on gameplay interface features, new builds will be available every few days here.

-------------------------------------------------------
Version 0.5.8a
added: database updated to "Dark Ascension"
-------------------------------------------------------
Version 0.5.8
fixed: cropped art search for Ludevic's Abomination
fixed: search library bug
fixed: token created facedown
fixed: "Move Card To -> Exile" closes the program.
added: selection with dragging rect
added: cards in play checked playarea limits and have mirrored position on opponent side.
added: cards can be dragged from and into graveyard window
added: library "Move Bottom Card" -> to ...
added: tokens and card copies deleted when move outside battleground

Comments

• edited January 2012
    It's looking and playing great, Detonator.

Just three small things.

First, there are lots of spells that require you to exile cards from your library face down, so it's good that that's the default action for exiling cards from the library. However, I don't think that there are any spells that require you to put a card from your library onto the battlefield face down, so it might be better for the default action to be to put cards from the library onto the battlefield face up.

Second, the official term is "battlefield," not "battleground," but that's pretty insignificant.

Third, in the Test Play, double-clicking the Unstap Step and Draw Step icons only affect the player on the bottom, never the opponent on the top, even if it's their turn.

Lastly, I have a special request. Could you put in an option to hide the price list and the rules text box in the editor so that all we see is the card itself? This would help save a lot of space on computers with tiny screens that run at 1024x600 resolution.

Other than that, it's shaping up really well. Thanks for the great program!
  • "I can implement "Reveal random card from graveyard", if it's creature, you use it, else try random again."

Shuffling would probably work better; if, for example, there are only 4 creatures in 20 cards, you'd only have a 1 in 5 chance of selecting a creature. It would be frustrating to reveal random cards again and again in this situation.

If the comp rules are an issue, perhaps make the shuffling undo-able? At least, until the comp rules are changed. This is where a virtual table has an advantage has over a real one, after all.
  • edited January 2012
    > I don't think that there are any spells that require you to put a card from your
    > library onto the battlefield face down

Some cards says like "put into library third from the top", you can simple move top cards into battlefield facedown, put this card to library and return cards back.

> if, for example, there are only 4 creatures in 20 cards

Later I will try to do some automation for card types, but it's need more testing with non-english card type/texts

> Could you put in an option to hide the price list and the rules text box in the editor so that all we see is the card itself?

Ok. I will test it for 1024x600 resolution and add option to hide price.
  • edited January 2012
    Just a couple little things I've noticed yesterday, in the play module:

- there are useless pop up menus when I right click the opponent's card/hand/library.

- in the log, when a player disconnects, it says "leaved the game", which is wrong: correct one is "left" or "have left"

- a way to give the opponent control of one of my cards is needed

- if I double click a card in hand, the log says "Player plays [card name]", however if I drag the card into play, the log says "player puts a card into play". It's correct that it says "put", but it should say the card name as well (apart from when I put a face down card in play, where it should just say "a face down card". Same happens when you drag a card from/to a zone to another.. the card's name should be written in the log.

- the undo feature is very nice. Would it be possible to have a "redo" as well?

P.S:
    I've opened a topic about VPT on our italian MtG site.. hope more people will try and test this, either posting here or telling me, so that I can report back to you :)
  • "Some cards says like 'put into library third from the top,' you can simple move top cards into battlefield facedown, put this card to library and return cards back."

Good reasoning.

"Ok. I will test it for 1024x600 resolution and add option to hide price."

And the rules textbox below, too, if that's possible. Because we can have the errataed rules on the cards themselves now, the textbox is kind of superfluous. Thanks!
  • edited January 2012
    > - the undo feature is very nice. Would it be possible to have a "redo" as well?

It's is necessary? Undo is for special purposes only. I see problem with shuffle and actions with random number, redo will generate new card order and random numbers. It's enough simple to redo these actions manually, may be with changes.
    Also undo is not global, but per-user only. You can't undo opponent's actions, but deep undo can fail targets for opponent's previous actions, and redo then will generate not same state as before.

> - there are useless pop up menus when I right click the opponent's card/hand/library.

Ok, I will try to hide it when all elements are disabled.

Later I will recheck all message log texts .
  • edited January 2012
    Ah, didn't notice you could not undo opponent's actions.

I thought about undo/redo as an easy way to review the game with your opponent after the match.. could be nice especially for testing with a friend to review certain choices. That's however a sort of replay feature.. and a replay feature is meant to be done right? Would it be possible to have a spectator mode in replay mode as well? Could be nice to study a game with a friend.

EDIT: so, if in the chain of actions there's an opponent action, and I can't undo it myself, will the undo do nothing, or will it undo my previous action, messing up with the game state?

I mean:

My action 1
    his action 1
    my action 2

First undo will undo my action1. Will a second undo rollback action 2, or will it fail since his action 1 is actually "blocking" my undo?
  • Actions always undoned succesfully, it works next way:
    Before apply any action I save copy of game state.
    When you undo action it restore game state to timepoint of previous your's action, then apply again all opponent's actions after this timepoint. Some may be fail if action target not exists anymore (you can see it in message log as "(Failed)"), in general it's rare situation, but game state always will be "stable".
    This undo feature mainly not for manual use, but for internal resolving network delays, I apply local action immideatly, then send action's packet to other player(s), if one of these players failed to apply this action, it will be undoned on all other players to.
    Also this "undo" need me to implement rules checking and AI in future.

Game Save/Load/Replay and Spectrator mode will be later, when I finish all gameplay interface features and internal actions list and it's arguments will be stable, else with new version release all old saved games will be imposible to load.
  • Good, just pointing out that replay should be available together with spectator mode, in order for both players to review the game together, and not just as a sort of replay for yourself alone :)
  • Version 0.5.8a released: database updated to "Dark Ascension" (see links in first topic)
  • edited January 2012
    A friend of mine made me notice a pretty important thing: he ended up passing from MWS to Cockatrice not strictly for a technical reason, but rather for a "community" reason: it's known that there are a lot of bad mannered people on the MWS servers, and you can't do much about it. On Cockatrice, since nicks are registered, you can ban a player in order to avoid playing with him again. Sure, he can re-register, but it surely won't re-register just because YOU banned him.

The above is better than nothing, but can be improved A LOT: on a large player base, banning a player may be useless since you have little chance of finding him again anyway. What I would suggest is a sort of "feedback" system (similar to ebay in a certain sense): nothing flashy.. just this:

- you need to register a nickname in order to play on the server

- every time you play against someone, you can give him a vote from 1 to 10

- you can change your vote for someone you play more times against, but you can't give more than one vote (to avoid two friends spamming each other with high votes)

- when you are waiting for someone to join your game, you can see his average vote, and decide to play against him or not based on that

Having registered nicknames would also allow for banning nicks and even make friends' list, which would be awesome on its own (Cockatrice gives a certain importance to the "keep in contact" aspect as well)

I know there are even more sophisticated algorithms to keep track of someone's "Karma" in order to avoid frauds from vote spamming, for example weighting the votes based on the voter's own feedback, but even a simple system as the above would make a HUUUUUUUGE difference.

Remember: most often than not, when you read about MWS around, it's not about how good or bad the program is, but mostly about how TERRIBLE and BAD MANNERED are the people playing on it. Do something similar to the above, and you'll REALLY have a killer feature to attract players from everywhere.
  • This looks great, thanks! This could easily replace MWS; and it looks like this will be the main competition for Cockatrice.

Just some quick suggestions:

- When starting a test game, the initial sound is VERY loud. For some reason, the program brings my sound up to like 75% which on headphones is extremely too loud.
    - More predefined tokens. I do not think there are a whole lot of them, but it'd be nice just to have access to them all since there're a number of places where you can download all of the tokens and their different art.
    - Minor gripe, but I'd like to actually see the health go up and down.
    - Lands should be played in their "normal" place, i.e., on the bottom row. Currently, they all stack on top of each other, and creatures go to the same place as lands (the top left).
    -This is probably very difficult to program, but would it be possible to have a popup window that you could resize and move around for the graveyard?
    - When searching the library, it'd be nice if they all stacked up so you don't have to scroll down, kinda like in MTGO.
    - Might be completely unnecessary, but maybe an area for the stack that spells go to (maybe this should just be user done or optional)?

All in all, this looks great! There aren't many people currently playing, but it blows Cockatrice's interface out of the water already! I'd advertise the game more and try to spread it as THE alternative to MWS. Hope you found my comments useful.
  • "- Minor gripe, but I'd like to actually see the health go up and down."

It can. After you assign all the points of damage and poison and life gain that will happen at any given point, just click "Apply Damage" at the bottom of the life right click menu and the life totals will change. It's an extra step, but it's actually really useful in complicated blocking situations where there are a lot of different triggers going off all at once.
  • "Apply Damage" can be called by left dblclick on avatar.
    In game you simple press Ctrl+Left Click on avatar to assign amount of damage, then dblclick to apply (or "clear changes" in context menu if you for example prevent it)
  • Ah, thank you, Detonator. I'd been wondering if there were another way to apply damage. I know there are the keyboard command hints in the upper-right corner of the screen at the beginning of each game, but my screen is so small that the chat window cuts off everything below "Adding poison counters."
  • edited January 2012
    2 Malhavoc, I will implement server with login/password, and black/friend list too.
    Also I'm thinking about game result reporting when you finish match or try close gameplay window (dialog with Win/Lose/Draw/Not finished) and result will send to server for statistics. Then other players can see rating when join to game (how matches you played/not finished), I think it will prevent users to disconnect in game.

Also Cockatrice has only one server, but in VPT any player can run it's own server, for example for friends or league games, or connect directly each to other without server, it's not always possible to check user/password in this situation (internet may be not available if you play in LAN), but I will think about it.
  • edited January 2012
    2 KaptainKrunk,

I will check sound volume.

Stack zone in my plans, and will be implemented in closest builds.
    Graveyard resizing and other will be implemented too, thank for your suggestions.

About tokens - I will try to implement some automation, when you have revealed card on battlefield/stack/graveyard/exile which can create tokens, this predefine token type will be automatically available in context menu.
  • Currently, in both the Deck Builder and the Test Play, when you click on a card image to preview its largest size, the preview shows the printed text rather than the errataed text, even if errataed text on the cards is turned on. Would it be possible for you to make the errataed text show up on the large card previews as well?
  • On an "unofficial" server, people should just be on their own, it's fine :)

Reporting game results would be nice, but I think many people would simply deny to have lost in order to avoid having their statistics getting worse. However, a log of how many times one disconnected (if coupled with how many games one have played) could be quite useful.
  • edited January 2012
    A small bug from the former final has survived:
    mtg.jar\textures\sets
    The CSP_C/R/U.gifs have to be renamed to CS_C/R_U.gifs in order to display the Coldsnap-icons correctly.

By the way, what about other missing set-icons? Mirrodin Besieged and up to Dark Ascension, Magic 2012, Special Sets...

EDIT: I just recognized that a kind of blur filter softens the images in vpt. But in my opinion, the blur settings seem to be a bit too strong so the original pic looks sharper than that in vpt.
  • > Currently, in both the Deck Builder and the Test Play, when you click on a card
    > image to preview its largest size, the preview shows the printed text rather than
    > the errataed text, even if errataed text on the cards is turned on. Would it be
    > possible for you to make the errataed text show up on the large card previews as well?

I checked it, for me in Deck Editor it shows same mode as in preview.
    In Play mode it always shows errated text.
  • edited January 2012
    "I checked it, for me in Deck Editor it shows same mode as in preview.
    In Play mode it always shows errated text."

I deleted all the VPT files and reinstalled the program and it's still showing up as the printed text on my PC. The errataed text shows up in the normal picture, but the printed text shows up whenever I left-click on the picture and hold to see the full-sized card or when I right-click and select "View Card."

Some specific examples of the incorrect text are on "Camel," "Ice Cauldron," "Thrun, the Last Troll," and "Path to Exile," but really it's happening on every errataed card.
  • "Camel" is displayed different as described by JNSiQwa in my first attempt too. But after I played with the "show original image"/"show errated text"-settings, the large pic is finaly shown correctly with errated text as is the preview card.
  • That fixed it. Ridiculous that I didn't try that. Thanks, Sanguinus.
  • For some reason the play module bumps the sound volume on my computer to 66% the first time I run the program and open it. My ears almost imploded from it (my headphones are loud at 20%).
  • ^ This exactly.
  • One time a day I get the error "Start tag expected" when starting the deck editor. The editor then starts as normal but with empty deck list, although I left VPT with an active deck in the list.

And the play modul sets the volume to 50% on my machine, which is lower than my default 100% (but sounds okay). That's why I don't recognised it before.
  • I have the same problem with volume as above. When starting the game It makes it extremely loud. Please Fix this.
    Also could You add support for token pictures? (stored in card pictures folder in TK [like "D:/Cards/Full/TK"], also with option for full card pics or pictures only)
    The program still needs a lot of development but is very promising. I'm looking forward to next version and I will be testing this a lot.
  • edited February 2012
    Volume fix
    http://virtualplaytable.com/forum/discussion/30/sound-volume-fix-for-version-0.5.8a

Tokens images will be added soon.

> The program still needs a lot of development but is very promising.

What additional features are you expected in first order?
  • I've done some testing with my "Start tag expected" error message (see my comment above). I am using .mwDeck-files at the moment, which seems to be the problem:

If I quit VPT with an open .mwDeck and start the Deck Editor again, the error occurs.
    If I use a .deck-file, there is no error. It seems to be that VPT expects some information the .mwDeck file hasn't stored.

And btw I don't know if the error message "File not found" should pop up, in case the original file has been moved or deleted. VPT could easily start with an empty deck without any message in such case.