Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Associate .deck file type with Virtual Playtable

Are there plans to associate the .deck file type with Virtual Playtable? It would be great to just double click on a file to open it in the Deck Editor.

Comments

• That is something you can do via your operating system. I'll assume that is Windows, in which case you just try to open the file, then get a dialog about Windows not knowing how to open it. You get the option to select from a number of programs, where you can select Virtual Playtable.
    I didn't test this myself, but if it's working, this is your one and only way on Windows, without additional tools. If this isn't working, it's something to be changed within VPT (I could imagine the loading screen getting in the way).

Personally, I find opening VPT from a shortcut is the faster option, with the proposed default path for decks being the perfect feature to complete this. But of course, everyone has their own preferences :)
  • I know how to associate files, but Virtual Playtable has the initial option dialog (Deck Editor or Online Play) it presents - it doesn't go directly into the Deck Editor. Currently, associating the .deck extension with Virtual Playtable doesn't help much.
  • Yeah, that's what I thought might happen... in that case, i suppose a solution would be to split the online play and deck building programs into their own .exe files, and make the launcher it's very own application. That should speed up the start of the program as well, as you can start the application you're looking for at that time directly, instead of going through the launcher. I'm not sure how that's going to affect test playing from within the deck builder, though.

Let's hear what Detonator thinks about that? :)
  • > but Virtual Playtable has the initial option dialog (Deck Editor or Online Play)

I can startup Virtual Playtable directly in deck edit mode with this deck opened.

> i suppose a solution would be to split the online play and deck building programs into their own .exe files

No, VPT uses internal in-memory cards database and image cache for card rendering (VPT uses about 300Mb of total memory for it). May be in future I will find way to separate them and optimize memory use, but not in closed future.
  • edited December 2014
    > I can startup Virtual Playtable directly in deck edit mode with this deck opened.

When I associate the .deck file type with Playtable.exe, I'm presented with the selection screen (Deck Editor or Online Play). It doesn't take me directly into the deck editor.
  • I tested this on my Windows machine, and what's happening on an associated file execution is that the launcher (selection screen) shows up, then you can select the deck editor - however it will give you the last opened deck no matter what, regardless of which deck you opened in the file manager.

@Detonator: Is there a possibility to add a launch parameter to customize shortcuts, for example? Seems like a simple way from user side to directly open the deck editor (wouldn't specifically fix this problem, though), but I don't know whether that's easy to implement or not...(or worth it)
  • Ok, I will add additional parameters and association with .deck (and optionally other supported deck formats too) in next build. I will describe them when will be ready.
  • @BlueScope - That is the exact same behavior that I see when trying to open .deck files with VirtualPlaytable.exe.

@Detonator - Thanks!