Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Virtual Playtable 0.5 Test builds (with Network Play)

edited February 2012
(Updated 30 Jan 2012)

It's test build of network play feature, to show you that project is live and will be finished soon.
Basic network and state syncronization code is finished, test server started.
You already can connect to server, create/join game, and play with other players.

Download: (unzip in any folder and run)
http://virtualplaytable.com/download/vpt058a.zip (build 30 Jan 2012)

Screenshots:
http://virtualplaytable.com/download/vpt050pre4.png

To download card images see main site: http://virtualplaytable.com/
You also can use images from MWS, set path in app settings.

I still working on gameplay interface features, new builds will be available every few days here.

Comments

• WOW, massive improvements in performance, runs great now!
    Lacks 2 really important key features to be playable, show top x cards of library, and shuffle. That's the bare minimum needed now.
  • Will it be possible to test the deck (in solo) against an other deck as in MWS ? This function would be very useful for people like me who have no permanent internet connexion.

Impressive improvement however.
  • > Will it be possible to test the deck (in solo) against an other deck as in MWS

Yes, of course.
  • edited December 2011
    Very good!

I've tested it a bit, but apart from the connection protocol itself (which I understand of course was a big task), I think I can't test many new features now, so I'll just ask some questions and give you some suggestions:

- I noticed the undo feature, does it hints about possible save/load features as well?

- a "redo" button would be helpful as well

- hope a "spectator" feature will be available as well. I believe this is absolutely mandatory, and I noticed it's not in (at the moment at least)

- I've suggested this in the past, and I'll do it again until implemented ( :-P ): mana icons on cards in hand should be lowered a bit, in order to avoid covering the card art, which is very helpful to recognize them. Lowering the icons will cover the already unreadable text anyway. If you fear some strange and lenghty mana costs (such as WWUUBBRRGG), just let the text wrap up instead of down.. but default visualization should not cover the art

- browsing libraries & graveyards is nicer this way compare to the plain list as in MWS, but I'd add some horizontal lines to better display card order (which is left to right and then top to bottom by row). At the moment it's not yet possible to rearrange cards and display them ordered

- I don't think that forcing you to load a deck before connecting to the server is a good idea.. quite the opposite. First of all, I may want a different deck depending of the game format I'm going to join, and I may not know yet if I'm going to join rather than host. Secondary, I may just want to go there and chat (since now there's a chat), and in the end I not even see a way to change deck between one game and the other without leaving the server and losing my current opponent. It would also be nice to have a shortcut icon in the installation folder to launch the application in "game mode" already, without loading the deck editor every time.

EDIT: of course the server/connection interface is yet to finish, so I'll avoid comments on that by now.. anyway, I've tried to test it by connecting with two local clients to the defaul server. Worked well until I closed one.. and the other just didn't realize my opponent was gone. Protocol bug or interface bug?
  • > I noticed the undo feature, does it hints about possible save/load features as well?

yes, in future it's possible. But because saved games can't be replayed if internal command parameters was changed, I will add this feature when gameplay actions becomes stable.
    Undo sometimes useful in game, in MWSPlay was "Undo last draw card", I think generic undo is better. Also I use internal undo to resolve some action collisions (you and your opponent do some mutually exclusive operations on same object), game will be automatically returned to last stable state.

> a "redo" button would be helpful as well

I will add it.

> hope a "spectator" feature will be available as well.

Yes, later.

> mana icons on cards in hand should be lowered a bit

Changed in 0.5.preview2

> some horizontal lines to better display card order

ok, I will try to change it.

> I don't think that forcing you to load a deck before connecting to the server is a good idea..

It's for test only. Later I will implement free deck load mode.

> Worked well until I closed one.. and the other just didn't realize my opponent was gone. Protocol bug or interface bug?

It's bug, in 0.5.preview2 this bug is not fixed. I will see it more.
  • edited December 2011
    Virtual Playtable 0.5.preview2 available. See updated link to download in first post of this thread.

- added some play interface actions (Shuffle, Show X top cards and etc) with hotkeys
    - added sounds

• This looks really great. I'd love to test Linux or OS X versions. I tried to run the jar from the CLI with java -jar mtg.jar but got an error about it being an invalid jar. I'll gladly build for OS X or Linux if help is needed.
  • edited December 2011
    Mac OS X version will be in future, but for first I want to finish Windows version.
    mtg.jar is not executable, it's contains only MTG database, card frame images and java classes for card rendering and etc.

• Bugs:
    - On solo mode, you can't see the other players library, it always shows yours.
    - Sometimes cards get bugged in the graveyard (you take them out and they remain there), moving the card back to the graveyard doesn't fix the problem.
  • edited December 2011
    One thing I have noticed is missing from the "Sets" list is the Premium Deck: Graveborn. Also, a feature that needs to be added is taking control of an opponents cards, as well cards from their graveyard.
  • Needs a way to flip the Innistrad double-faced cards on the table, and to peek at the other side without flipping.
  • Will test ASAP but doubt I'll find someone to play with. Will do spread the word though :) Will there be available downloadable dedicated server software ?
  • to run dedicated server call "Playtable.exe -server", it starts server on default 4747 port (do not have any interface yet, empty window shows).
  • Thank you !
  • @xdaft: to test online play, I suggest to launch two clients, and just connect both of them to the server, so that you can play just switching from one client to the other.
  • Virtual Playtable 0.5.preview3 available. See updated link to download in first post of this thread.

Added:
    - dialog when create online game (to set description, password)
    - token rendering in play (only text and colored frames, without art yet)
    - "Start new game" menu item in play
    - dialog to load deck before start game (sideboarding will be added later)
    - fixed disconnect messages in online play
    - minor changes

>> Bugs:
    >> - On solo mode, you can't see the other players library, it always shows yours.

Fixed.

>> - Sometimes cards get bugged in the graveyard (you take them out and
    >> they remain there), moving the card back to the graveyard doesn't fix the problem

I have not understood or can't reproduce it.
  • Hey, Great program! My friend and I just got it yesterday and we both like it. We have tested the play and it worked really well just a couple questions for you.

1. Are you working and a way to transform cards in play?
    2. I would love to be able to highlight cards and tap them all at once(like in MWS)

Other then that I love your program, great job! Thank you very much!
  • Thank you, transform will be available in next build.
    To highlight card press Shift+Click, I will try to make highlighting more intuitive in next build.
    Write there all features you need to play, I will implement them in first order.
  • I was using a dredge deck when the graveyard bug happened. I was constantly moving cards in and out of the graveyard, suddenly one of the cards was both in the graveyard and in play. Moving the card from play to the graveyard or vice versa did nothing, it was in both places.

Happened only twice, but I can't figure out the cause.
  • Virtual Playtable 0.5.preview4 available. See updated link to download in first post.

- added "Transform" command (name/pwr/tgh changed automatically)
    - added "View card info" command in play to show window with card image and oracle/rulings text (you can use it to see other side of double-sided cards).
    - changed default theme for Playtable interface, now it's green (feature to set custom avatar and background will be added later).

Screenshot: http://virtualplaytable.com/download/vpt050pre4.png

• Just letting you know the new build is awesome. The Transformation works great, the view card info is beautiful, and the new green interface looks great! Thank you so much, keep up the great job!
  • edited January 2012
    Somebody has an error? :
    Playtable.exe doesn't run, but shows "JavaVM terminated abnormally" and adds log file in folder like 'hs_err_pid2516.log'

I have uploaded changed version (see link vpt050pre4d.zip on top), try it, is bug solved?
  • Hi, just wanted to list some features I would like to see:
    - click and drag rectangle selection of multiple cards
    - option for multiple highlited cards not to lose their layout when moved together
    - option to change attributes to multiple cards at once, like adding +1/+1 counter on each [insert card type here] you have can be quite, when bother doing it once at the time
    - more than one color (red) for target arrows (shift+rightdrag = green arrow, etc..)
    - also tokens should vanish after reaching their destination (other that battlefield)
    - some shortcut for going to the next phase would also be nice (tab for example?)

Looking forward to next release, keep up the good work ;)
  • edited January 2012
    Bug report: "Run as administrator" is required for changes in tokens to persist between executions. It seems like it cannot edit the INI file properly.

Also, feature request: Need a way to copy opponent's cards/tokens
  • - The exile zone should in fact be separated to face-up and face-down zones. Also needs a way to turn cards face-down on the battlefield (morph).
  • > Bug report: "Run as administrator" is required for changes in tokens to
    > persist between executions. It seems like it cannot edit the INI file properly.

What folder did you use for unpack and run Playtable?

• Ah... I used a program file folder... that's what's causing the problem...

By the way,
    - The "Soldier" default token is misspelled.
  • edited January 2012
    Did some more testing.. here what I've noticed / didn't like:

LIBRARY:
    -can I add a specific card version to a deck? For example, a chronicle rather than a legend ?

-there's something not working correctly in the quick filter in the library: for example if I write "swords to plowshares", said card is correctly displayed on the left, but in the grid "sowrd of feast and famine" is being selected, and if I click the green arrow, the wrong card is added

-browsing cards I've noticed that when I select one with a much higher price, the box including prices gets a little bigger, and the whole left colum with the card image and text gets a bit bigger too, resulting in the grid on the right being pushed aside a few pixels. Similar things happen (in the other direction) when I then select a card with a lower price I'd like a reset filter button, without the need to reopen the filter window

-Filter needs some more options, like in MWS

-Cards currently show printed text rather than oracle. I usually prefer using crops JUST for being able to see oracle at first glance. There should be an option where I choose which kind of text i want. Oracle should probably be the default, as certain cards are functionally different since when they were printed

-when I close vPT with an unsaved deck, it asks me to save or not. That pop up is missing the title

PLAY MODULE:
    -copied cards should be treated as tokens and disappear when moved in some place other than playfield

-discard/cycle/reveal/hide card from hand do not seem to work or do anything (revealed cards should also be marked somehow)

-moving card from hand has multiple options to do the same thing, and half of them are not working. I think keeping the "Move -> Where" submenu style should be better

-sideboard and exile piles are missing. Regarding exile, you should either allow both face up and face down cards to be put in the exile, or have two distinct exile pile. I think the first should be preferred, as face down exiled are rare (but still a possibility)

-along with mana counters, a storm counter could be useful

-when the deck is opened for searching, I can right click through it (to create a token for example, which then appears on the playfield behind the window)

-the mulligan animation seems to make me draw the new cards at the same time I'm putting the old away.. does it ACTUALLY shuffles the old hand in the deck before drawing new ones? EDIT; I tried a mulligan with 50 cards in hand, just to discover that: ok, it seems to work correctly, but it's bad that I see some cards stay in hand JUST cause I will draw them again.. it's not really intuitive and realistic

-a shuffle animation would be nice, nothing more than seeing the cards in the deck fan a bit to the side and then rearrange back in place (that would also be nice to see during a mulligan: put back, shuffle, draw)

-missing the possibility to select multiple cards with a boxing movement: useful to apply the same command to multiple cards, in particular
  • Is it possible to support a draft's deck at http://ccgdecks.com
    Any 2 slide card cause Virtual Play Table has exception (javavm::CallVoidMethod())
    Screen Capture
    1. http://images.temppic.com/17-01-2012/images_vertis/1326772570_0.34348500.png
    2. http://images.temppic.com/17-01-2012/images_vertis/1326772570_0.84431800.png

Draft Test
    http://www.tempf.com/getfile.php?id=1152194&key=4f14f06f076e5

Hope you could fixed soon. ^^ Thank you Detonator.
  • edited January 2012
    > Is it possible to support a draft's deck at http://ccgdecks.com

if it save decks in apprentice/MWS format, it must be loaded.
    But Virtual Playtable will have it's own online/solo draft simulator mode, I'm interesting in it instead of support other sites or simulators.

> Any 2 slide card cause Virtual Play Table has exception

I will check, sometimes decks from other sites have a little different card names than in my database.